Author of Forgotten Saskatchewan, the most popular photo book in Canada for 2019.
“It’s Attrell’s night shots … that really galvanize attention. … (T)he casual observer is left in wonder.” Saskatoon StarPhoenix
2nd book (April 2021) Grain Elevators: Beacons on the Prairies.
“one of Canada’s premier photographers” 630 CHED Edmonton
My Films Forgotten Saskatchewan & 10 Thrilling Places In SW Saskatchewan were licensed to be shown on Saskatchewan cable TV.
Chris Attrell began his photographic journey in 1996 as a landscape and nature photographic hobbyist. His interest took a more localized turn in 2003 when he started to explore rural Alberta and Saskatchewan, seeking out symbols of the prairie past; grain elevators, ghost towns, and abandoned buildings.
Recognizing the historical significance of these pioneer relics Chris set out to photographically document Saskatchewan’s heritage. Over the last ten years Chris has built and run several successful online photo galleries to showcase both his and others’ images of the Prairie Provinces. His interests have expanded to include night photography, storm photography, and rural-themed portraits.
Chris’ love of the prairies prompted him to move from Banff, Alberta to Shaunavon, SK in 2006, where he currently lives with his wife.
- Denver Photography Club Presentation
- Harbour City Camera Club (Naniamo, BC)
- Raised almost $10,000 for cat rescue organizations via zoom classes on night photography
- Selected for the Swift Current SPCA ‘Celebrity Pound Event’ fundraiser – Feb 2021
- Presented At The Professional Photographers Of Canada (SK) Convention – Nov 2020
- Judge for the Heritage Saskatchewan Photography Contest – Sept 2020
- Hosted a SCAT Cat Rescue Fund Raiser Photography Class – August 2020
- Hosted a fund raiser photography class for the Swift Current SPCA – Feb 2019
- Judge for the Images Alberta Camera Club Photography Contest – April 2019
- Framed Prints Auctioned Off For Medicine Hat Food Bank – 2018
- Annual Swift Current SPCA photo class has raised over $3,000
His recent work has been featured in media such as:
- Literary Review of Canada (May 2022)
- Good Light! Magazine feature and front cover (May 2021)
- Huffington Post (Watch Here)
- Global National News (Watch Here)
- Galleries West Magazine
- Global TV Saskatoon (Watch Here)
- QC Magazine Regina
- CTV Regina (Watch Here)
- Sasktel.com (Read Here)
- Access TV
- Sasktel TV Max (Watch Here)
- Global Regina (Watch here)
- Calgary Herald
- National Post
- Saskatoon StarPhoenix (Read Here)
- Regina Leader-Post
- Fine Lifestyles Magazine
- The Weather Network
- Cypress Hills Destination Area
- Lost Girls Guide To Finding The World
- Report Magazine
- CBC Radio for #IamSask nomination
- Prairie Post
- CBC Saskatchewan
Chris has also been an active storm photographer since 2004 with 5 successful tornado intercepts in Saskatchewan!
Quotes From Students:
Mr Brown – I would highly recommend any photography classes by Chris Attrell!
Terrence – My wife and I took Chris’s course and I can’t say enough about how good he is and how much fun I had learning about my camera all over again. I highly recommend him
Heather – Strongly recommend taking this class. Chris is such a relaxed teacher but can share so much knowledge in an easy to understand way.
Megan – Thank you Chris, my camera is a lot less intimidating now. Wish I took your class years ago!